top of page

Tax Advice for Recently Married Couples

This is the time of year when many couples marry. When you get married, here are some

post-marriage guidelines to help you minimize tax hardship. 1. Notify the Social Security Administration Any name change should be reported to the

Social Security Administration so that your name and SSN match when you file your next

tax return. It is very simple to notify the SSA of a name change. Fill out Form SS-5,

Application for a Social Security Card, and return it to your nearest SSA office. The form

is available on the SSA's website, by phone at 800-772-1213, or in person at local offices.

If your name and SSN do not match when you file your tax return, your refund may be


2. Inform Those Paying You as a Contractor - If you are a self-employed sole proprietor

reporting your business income and expenses on a Schedule C and you now go by a

different name after getting married, let them know. They may have been issuing you

Forms 1099-NEC using your Social Security number. By doing this, an IRS mismatch will

be avoided.

3. Notify the IRS - You must send a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, to the IRS if

you have a new address. Also alert the proper tax authority if your state levies an

income tax.

4. Notify the U.S. Postal Service - You should also let the USPS know when you move so

that any mail from the IRS or a state tax authority can be transferred.

5. Examine Your Estimated Tax Payments and Withholding - If you and your new spouse

both have jobs, your combined income may put you in a higher tax rate, and we could

prepare your joint return for the first time and give you an unpleasant surprise. On the

other side, filing jointly with your new spouse can offer a large tax benefit if only one of

you is employed, allowing you to lower you’re withholding or anticipated payments. In

either scenario, it may be wise to evaluate your withholding (W-4 status) and estimated

tax payments, if any, for the year to ensure that you are not going to be under-withheld

and that you don't put yourself in a position to find out the hard way come the following

filing season. Even if there isn't a change in tax withholding you still need to let your

employer know about your new marital status and name change if necessary.

6. Notify the Marketplace - You must inform the Marketplace of your change in marital

status if you or your spouse get health insurance via a government Marketplace

(Exchange). The parent must inform the Marketplace (Exchange) if you were added to

their health insurance plan via Marketplace. Tax filing issues may arise if the

Marketplace is not informed.

8 views0 comments


bottom of page